Thinking about Surrogacy- Questions to Consider?
Top 10 Questions to ask yourself if you are considering Surrogacy
We often suggest that Intended parents ask themselves these 10 Questions, before pursuing a Gestational Surrogacy.
- Have you found a fertility clinic to help you with your Surrogacy, if so have they medically cleared you to proceed?
- Who will represent you legally- Has your agency/consultant suggested interviewing more than one lawyer?
- Is this the right timing for you, your spouse. Is your partnership/marriage in a good place?
- Will you ask a family member, or friend, or work with an agency?
- Have you looked into the financial costs associated with Surrogacy? Is it something you can manage?
- What are your expectations on Selective reduction/termination for medical abnormalities?
- How involved do you want to be during the process? Going to Dr.’s Appointments, ultrasounds, or getting together throughout the pregnancy?
- How do you feel about your Surrogate being public about the journey- Use of Social media, facebook, and other sites?
- What are your criteria for a Surrogate- location, age, number of kids, single/married?
- If your eggs/sperm aren’t healthy- would you consider using an egg or sperm donor?
For further Questions on the Surrogacy process, and things to consider, please email our office 613 439 8701, OR email us at firstname.lastname@example.org . Our staff would be more than happy to set up a time to meet with you to discuss how asking yourselves these questions will help you, in finding the RIGHT Surrogate.
Empowering yes, Nerve racking yes!!!
Yesterday Angie, and I met up in Toronto for an afternoon that we were both very excited about, but both for different reasons, very nervous about. We were going to take part in http://4thtrimesterbodies.com/ . They are an amazing organization that are on a Worldwide tour
How to choose a Fertility Doctor
How to Choose A Fertility Doctor
A large part of our daily routine at CFC is discussing Fertility Doctors with our clients- What you should be looking for, and how Fertility is different for everyone, and that you want to interview, and most importantly advocate for yourself throughout this most important process of selecting an Reproductive Endocrinologist.
Factors to Consider
The following are some important factors to consider when searching for your fertility doctor or service:
- ? Success/pregnancy rates
- ? Qualifications and experience of personnel
- ? Types of patients being treated
- ? Support services available
- ? Cost
- ? Convenience-Location
- ? Recommendations & Reputation
To further your research, the success rates of reproductive clinics are available at the following links:
?Centers for Disease Control (CDC)
?Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology (SART)
It is important to note that these numbers are two to three years old and can sometimes be reported differently by different centers, so these figures should not be the only factor that you consider.
The following are sample questions that may help you make an informed decision:
? What procedures do you offer?
? How much experience do you have in these procedures and what are your success rates?
? What are your criteria for seeing patients (e.g. waiting list, age limits, single vs. married, etc.)?
? What screening tests are required?
? What is the time commitment?
? Does the program meet and follow ASRM guidelines?
? Does the program report its results to the SART Registry and the CDC?
? Is the program a member of the Society for Assisted Reproductive Technology?
? How many physicians will be involved in my care?
? Are your physicians board certified in reproductive endocrinology and in good medical standing?
? What types of counseling and support services are available?
? Do you have an outline of the costs of the tests and procedures I may need?
? What are your available payment options?
? Is staff accessible to answer questions about treatment, forms, or payment?
? Do you accept insurance?
? What are the on-going storage costs of tissues (sperm, eggs, etc.)?
Surrogacy Specific Questions:
? What are your requirements/screening regarding surrogates? ie, Number of pregnancies, number of c-sections, BMI, etc.
? Are you open to using a protocol that an experienced surrogate has previously used (at another clinic), do you require medical records from pervious deliveries? If so, at what point?
? Do you require surrogate (experienced) to travel to you for screening?
? Will you accept previous psychological assessments
We hope that you will use this list as a guide when searching for a Fertility clinic. Our office is of course available to help you with any research you may want to do as well. CFC’s personal referral service will get right to work for you- Setting up appointments with various fertility clinics on your behalf. For further information on CFC’s programs, and services, please feel fre to email us at email@example.com OR by calling us at 613 439 8701.